Pages

2

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Draft Day

Today is the NFL Draft---- formerly one of my favorite days of the year.  It always comes when everyone is suffering through the withdrawal due to the offseasons of both college and professional football.  This year is obviously a bit of an exception as the media is focused on "other aspects" of the NFL & Players right now. 

Growing up in the prime of FSU football, I always waited anxiously to see which of my favorite Seminoles would get drafted and hoped every year that my beloved Bucs would pick them!  Even the past several drafts since I've been working in the league have had some excitement attached to them.  I mean that's what happens when you have less than stellar seasons- you get great draft picks! 

But today is different--- today is the draft after a ten win season--- and that means no one is buzzing about who we are going to pick because we pick 20th, and everyone is still excited about the young team we already have. Not so for my husband, the stinky Panther fan.  He got up this morning dressed in Carolina teal pumped for the draft! Who can blame him--- with the #1 pick in the draft, it's the first time in 8 months he's even admitted he's still a fan of those silly kitties.

I am a little jealous of the excitement though... my favorite draft day ever was in '97 when we drafted Warrick Dunn.  I was at a friend's birthday party and while all the girls were playing silly games and eating cake, I insisted on having the TV on the draft.  Yep, I was THAT girl. 

This right here made me jump up and down and call my parents and insist that they buy me the official team hat for the year and a jersey as soon as it came out! Oh yeah and I predicted that the Bucs were going to be AWESOME! haha

Here's hoping for a season full of that kind of excitement in our house--- and that the Panthers pick someone just good enough to make my husband stop complaining, but still bad enough that they continue to lose to us!!!  Happy Draft Day! :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post! And LOVE the events of last night's first round!

    ReplyDelete