Pages

2

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wedding Week 2010: Friday April 16

Friday was a very full, exhausting, but fun day! Things kicked off with the Bridesmaids Brunch at the Gateway Club.  We had an adorable parlor reserved and set everything up with garnet & red damask table cloths, as well as some mercury glass globes with stargazer lilies in them (to be used for the cocktail hour the next night).   I had the perfect outfit for this occasion as well- an ivory pencil skirt, an ivory sequined top with a satin tie at the neck, and some gold metallic peep toe pumps with exaggerated bows on them.  While I loved my outfit, it's Katy's that I remember--- she had a fabulous raw silk fuschia dress... however the strap kept breaking!!! Luckily she also had a lovely purple wrap to cover it.  Yes she coordinated beautifully with the wedding colors.



The one thing I wanted to ensure at this brunch was that all of my girls felt important-- that they knew just how much I appreciated their friendship and effort to come and be a part of this special weekend.  The gifts were wrapped in coordinating wedding colored Martha Stewart wrapping paper (thank you K-Mart for marking these down at Christmas!).  The 3 boxes were stacked and tied with a gorgeous garnet ribbon and they all had a coordinating gift bag as well.  I looked like Christmas when they arrived!!!



The food was impeccable! As the girls arrived they were offered a mimosa or a "pomosa" (pomegranate juice & champagne).  We created the pomosa because it matched the color sceme.  We sat down and were served a delightful brunch - we had delicious strawberry muffins, fruit, and a fabulous quiche that Suzanne and I came up with.  It was a beautiful brunch that Aunt Jean and Mom threw, and it was so nice to share the morning with such important women in my life.


The girls seemed to really like their gifts - they kept saying what great swag they got :) I decided to give the girls a few things: a red or pink croc hanging travel bag for their cosmetics/jewelry (since it's a destination wedding); a fabulous necklace from White House Black Market for them to wear with their dresses;  a garnet pashmina that they could wear if it got cool or just use as a scarf or wrap in the future; a petite Brighton pill box; French soaps int he shape of seashells (for Florida); and a bottle of Biltmore Wine (since it's made in Asheville).  Each of their gifts also had a black metal initial tag.



After the luncheon, we started setting up for the Reception since we were already at the venue.  The gals were a big help getting the tables set so we could decorate.  Most everyone headed out to enjoy Waynesville after that, and the rest of us continued working and attacking the details.  Jo & Katy took care of finishing the Mezzanine for the cocktail hour, while Mom and I floated between the two floors setting up with the Crew (Whitey, Rena, Mary Anne & Bill, Teresa, and Shelly).  We worked all day long.  In fact, we had to change into our clothes for the rehearsal in the ladies lounge at the club and drive straight to the church!  

The rehearsal, as they all are, was stressful.  Trying to get Hudson's army of groomsmen to fit in the tiny chapel was a challenge.  Finally I stomped down from the stage and just took over.  I hated to act that way in front of all his friends, but i was far too sleep/food deprived at that point to care.  The rest of the rehearsal went well and I felt confident the next day would flow smoothly.

I think our expressions say it all
See-- they were having lots of fun!

The best part of the rehearsal was that our photographer, Gary Sweetman, was there.  He took us out around Lake Junaluska afterward and got some AMAZING pictures.  I really wanted to have plenty of unique shots in this setting, as well as lots of pictures of Hudson and I in something other than our Wedding Day attire.  I got so much more than I ever could have hoped for.  Gary is such a talent and I'm so happy he made the trip to NC for us.  Some of my very favorite photos from the weekend are at the cross at Lake Junaluska.   

Gary brought us to the rehearsal dinner after our photo session.  Elise and Bob threw a fabulous party!  It was held at the Cork & Cleaver restaurant at the Waynesville Inn, so that everyone could just walk back to their rooms afterward.  We brought in our DJ, Tony, and since he arrived on Friday he also came and did the music for the rehearsal dinner!  The tables were all banquet style and it was so much fun seeing everyone there! Since all our guests were from out of town, everyone was invited to the rehearsal dinner, so it made for a very fun and social evening!


The dinner itself was spectacular.  After some lovely appetizers were passed (Hud and I missed this while out with Gary), we found our seats for dinner.  We started with a delicious ceasar salad.  The main course was lobster and filet mignon with an incredible potato concoction.  The seat next to me was vacant, but we let the servers keep putting food there-- so House and I split the extra entree - yes I ate my filet and TWO lobster tails. I think I deserved it!  The dessert was a delicious tiramisu.  This menu was incredible and I can't help but feel a bit of pride.  Since the Inn had booked a kareoke contest for the same night as our rehearsal dinner, and since my mother, Rachel, Teresa, and I went in and raised holy heck to get them to change it--- they graciously offered Elise an upgrade for all the trouble. Thank you, Waynesville Inn for being idiots and booking two events on the same night, as well as caving in to our demands :)


Elise had prepared a slide show for Hudson and it was adorable.  She had even gotten a few pictures of me growing up from my mom to throw in too, so that was fun.  Hudson loved it. 


We also presented the awards for the Hilkersworth Scramble that evening .  The men had played the scramble earlier that day at the Waynesville Inn course and we had trophies made for the winners as well as a few other prizes.


The winning foursome or "Fabulous Four" as their trophies say were Pudd, Fat, Ezzell, and Porter. 


The runners up got Bucs polos - Dad, Steve, Dennis, and Bill took home those prizes. 


We also had a lovely medal for our golf effort that had the "Best Effort".  This was made especially for Jeff Bartlett.  Jeffy loves to play... has great new clubs...but is still working on his skills. He was a great sport!


The final award went to Justin for "Best Dressed".  Everyone had very special outfits, but his Payne Stewart inspired ensemble made him the hands down winner.

Close Runners Up...

Jeff and Henry gave Hudson his own award too--- It was a Hilkersworth Scramble plaque that said "Hudson's Last Round" with the date and everything on it. 


After the awards presentations, toasts for the evening began.  We were really blown away by how many people spoke and all the lovely things they had to say.  Obviously some were packed with humor, while others had to fight back tears.  Rachel enjoyed her moment she'd been waiting for for almost three years-- being able to stand up in front of everyone and say "I told you so".  Jo faced her fear of public speaking and gave a toast - a moment I'll never forget because she's always sworn she would NEVER do it and I know how petrified she was up there. 


Then there was John, Meg, Hannah & Jack who had the most adorable speech ever.  They told the funniest story about taking Hudson to a hockey game and how much food he ate-- they even came with props!!! And seriously- that kid ate SO much junk food that night! I was laughing hysterically. 


All of Hudson's groomsmen spoke, which I thought was so incredibly kind.  There are so many people that care about him, even if they crack jokes to cover it, and they all welcomed me in. 


Bob & Elise were impeccable hosts and also had such kind words to say.  They certainly planned an amazing rehearsal dinner, and I am so grateful for such a wonderful evening.


 
    
  

1 comment: