And we’re off!!!! I hit the road with mom and dad first thing Saturday morning to make the trek to the mountains for the big wedding week!!! Mom and I took my car (so that we have a nice car to drive away in after the reception), and Dad is taking the Tahoe (a rental addition since their trailblazer is in the shop for a busted door).
The traffic was HORRIBLE. Every snow bird in Florida has decided to leave the state at the same time as us---we’ve counted license plates from 26 other states!!!! Over half the country is represented in Florida! In fact, there were more Michigan plates than Florida ones.
As we are creeping in GA… the Benz decides now is the perfect time to have its first problem ever. Mom pulls over b/c the car will no longer accelerate. The whole time I’m thinking “this is NOT happening… this could not possibly be happening!” It was happening. After waiting almost 2 hours for a tow truck to get there (b/c he had to get through the same traffic we did) – we rode to the Mercedes dealership in South Atlanta. Dad and I ride in the tow truck and Mom takes the Tahoe.
Dad wanted me in a picture--- I'm obviously thrilled with the entire situation
Our ‘charming’ driver decides to take a back road detour to avoid the traffic…. And I do mean BACK roads. This man is not one to abide by speed limits either. He is obviously a free spirit with no fear of death. As we’re whirling around these back roads we come over a bridge with a very low guard rail. At this point my mind is racing and I’m envisioning us and the car going over the side into the water. I believe my mind went something like this:
“Oh we’re going in… we’re totally going in."
"My stupid car is going to end up in a watery grave."
"My wedding dress is in my car! My wedding dress is going in the water…. "
"I could call Jo! I could borrow Jo’s dress… yeah I could totally borrow her dress…"
"What about my shoes…. Oh no my shoes are in the car!!! I can’t replace those shoes!!!!!”
Well needless to say we did not go overboard. By the time we got to the dealership it was closed… along with every rental car place in Atlanta - so we ended up having to rent a car in the airport. That meant Dad stayed with the car at the dealership while mom and I drove to the airport, rented the car, drove back and then transfered ALL the wedding stuff from the Benz to the rental car. We had to stay the night in Atlanta---- we finally got into a hotel around 11:00 that night.
Worst. Day. Ever. A little forecasting – the car ended up costing every penny of our wedding gift money… yes every penny, and then some. And yes- I’m still bitter. (2011 update--- STILL BITTER!)
Such a sad day! I remember getting your text message and not believing it was really happening! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog and am having so much fun looking at your wedding journal! I can't believe it's been an entire year! I love you, and I'm so excited you have a blog now!
ReplyDelete